Where portfolio students talk.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Most people are fat.



So, Reebok has come up with a new angle for their advertising. Running is fun and easy, as opposed to the commonly seen "I'm a warrior and will swallow my own barf while running" approach.


I must admit, I like the direction of the campaign even though I don't like using that mindset in my own life. Not everyone is hardcore about exercising or running. In fact, I think the majority of people are more of the casual runner. This approach definitely seperates themselves from a category filled with "Just Do Its", "Impossible is Nothings," and an overall swagger of the hip hop culture.


I'm surprised it took someone this long to market directly to the fat, lazy Americans rather than the few go-getters. When was the last time you saw an athletic apparel company promote the message of "It's ok buddy, don't overexert yourself, you're great just as you are"? As much as that mentality makes me nauseous, I think it'll work.


BUT, I think the executions that I've seen to this point could be better. The ad above doesn't make sense to me. As a copywriter I value clarity. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I don't understand the headline. "What are you just doing?" I don't know what the hell that means. How about "What are you doing?" To me, that makes more sense with the image. Maybe it was a typo. Ha!


The TV campaign is going to use the message "Run at the speed of chat." I like the idea a lot. But I don't like that line. Maybe it's because I can see myself getting reamed for bringing a line like that into class. I can already hear the "write that 50 more times," "I don't think that lines quite there yet," and "eh, it's ok."


The billboards and posters will read "Why are you hitting the wall? It hurts." and "Run + Puke + Run = Crazy."


So what do you all think? Does a campaign like this work for you? Is doing a 180 on the current state of athletic gear the way to go?

2 comments:

eric molina said...

well, i don't really like the copy that much - i find it confusing - but the approach is something new. and lord knows that reebok needs to find its niche in the market. i know it's the third largest shoe company in the world and all, but from a layman's perspective - and one far outside the realm of an advertising person - i don't know anyone that sports reeboks any more. so if they can kind of bring this around and have their own identity, it might help. i think it needs definite refinement, but it has legs. too bad they're gonna have to bring it stronger if they want this to not be a short lived campaign like Dan Vs. Dave back in 1992.

if this is a place for portfolio students to meet, are there any art directors out there that want to redo a headline campaign for me? i'll trade you my future services in line writing.

americanmidwestsamurai said...

To me, Reebok is almost in the same sticky spot the big three American Automakers are in.

They lack a voice, an identity--I really don't know what Reebok the brand is all about.

Adidas bought them out a couple years ago, just as Nike bought Converse. And I don't think there's any question that Nike has done a better job of re-invigorating the Converse brand than Reebok with Adidas.

What does it mean to us students though? Is a rebranding campaign for Reebok--done slickly, with big ideas to move the brand towards a clear, consise definition about what they're all about--a legitamete peice to put in a student book?